Monday 17 May 2010

*Pulls out dictionary*

WHAT IS 'FASHION'?

Started out by typing fashion in to Google as I was curious as to what will come up to be honest and for the first couple of pages I wasn't impressed so I didn't go any further. Then I thought I guess it all boils down to personal definition of the word but then I also thought I wonder if there is a universal definition given to I picked out my IPhone and searched for my installed dictionary.com app and typed in Fashion. Everyone defines it differently and I guess that's the beauty of it but I was still curious none the less, so here's what I found......

–noun
1. a prevailing custom or style of dress, etiquette, socializing, etc.: the latest fashion in dresses.
2. conventional usage in dress, manners, etc., esp. of polite society, or conformity to it: the dictates of fashion; to be out of fashion.
3. manner; way; mode: in a war like fashion.
4. the make or form of anything: He liked the fashion of the simple, sturdy furniture.
5. a kind; sort: All fashions of people make up the world.
6. Obsolete . workmanship.
7. Obsolete . act or process of making.

–verb (used with object)
8. to give a particular shape or form to; make: The cavemen fashioned tools from stones.
9. to accommodate; adjust; adapt: doctrines fashioned to the varying hour.
10. Ship building . to bend (a plate) without preheating.
11. Obsolete . to contrive; manage.

—Idiom
12. after / in a fashion, in some manner or other or to some extent; in a make shift, unskillful, or unsatisfactory way: He'san artist after a fashion.

Origin: 1250–1300

—Synonyms
1. mode; fad, rage, craze. Fashion, style, vogue imply popularity or widespread acceptance of manners, customs, dress, etc. Fashion is that which characterizes or distinguishes the habits, manners, dress, etc., of a period or group: the fashions of the 18th century. Style is sometimes the equivalent of fashion, but also denotes conformance to a prevalent standard: to be in style; ac hair in the Queen Anne style. Vogue suggests the temporary popularity of certain fashions: this year's vogue in popular music. 4. shape, cut, pattern, figure. 8. frame, construct, mold. 9. suit, fit.

After reading it, what are your thoughts??? Do you agree because you are allowed to disagree, let me know and later on in the coming weeks I will tell you my thoughts. Cheerio
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails